Thursday, July 24, 2008

While You Sleep


While You Sleep came to me at 3 am in the morning while watching my infant son sleep.

While you sleep I quietly watch you in awe,
at your perfection, at your beauty,
realizing what a gift you are.
Fluttering eyelids and crooked smiles,
fleeting that they are.
Puckered lips - are you kissing me goodnight?
Tiny fingers clenched in a tiny little fist,
thumb tucked in.
Sometimes you clasp your hands together
under your chin - Are you praying to God?
Knees drawn up and tiny feet tucked under,
wrapped one around another -
Will you rub your feet together like I do while falling asleep?
I marvel at how small you are,
but how fast you are growing.
I feel blessed to have you,
grateful for the second chance,
committed to do my best
and to love you forever - unconditionally.
So I pray to God to keep you safe
and thank Him for the gift that is you.
I watch you and love you
while you sleep.

Not my best writing, but first draft in the middle of the night written by the light of a television while lying in bed. I just could not sleep until I put these thoughts on paper.
I am very grateful to have this sweet child. Everyone thinks that I am crazy having another child when I have one off to university, and two more fast approaching university age. Apparently I am not alone in trying parenthood all over again. I have several new friends in the same boat - not a one regrets her choice. How can you regret such a God given gift. I am thankful for my little boy - colic and sleepless nights included. Thank you God for answering my prayer!

No comments: