Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Green Grass Grows




May 22 - I sit in my window gazing across acres of lush green grass. Less than a month ago the snow was to the roof of my barn, it is such a relief to see green after such a long winter. Like everyone else (less the ski hill owners), I couldn't wait for this winter to end. I thought it never would. Never in my life had I seen so much snow, and I never remember being snowed in so bad I had to send my dog and children through a window to put them outside. Yes, I had to climb through a window to go outside on some mornings. Several times we had to dig out doors, and having several barns full of animals, meant a lot of mornings shoveling snow from in front of doors. It got to the point that we needed to carve stairs out of the snow banks to go down into the holes we dug in front of the barn doors so that we could feed the poor sheep, goats, and cows. Eventually the snow was so high the sheep were climbing over the snow banks to get out of their pens, then all became captive in the one spot I could keep them after adding fencing to a sheltered opening.
Thank God spring is here! I anticipated great oceans of puddles in my barnyard due to the amount of melting snow, but miraculously God had intervened by not allowing the ground to freeze beneath all that snow, so drainage was quick. Amen. I had not looked forward to trudging through mud all spring. So, I look out over green fields of timothy and grasses blowing in the wind, waiting for the sheep and cows to converge upon them, growing lush and sweet. Oh, won't the animals be happy next week when I send them into their version of heaven.

No comments: