Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Happy Birthday!


May 10th - My 43rd birthday, and now the birthday of my beautiful baby boy! Berenger (Bear) Garrett Oliver arrived at 2131h in a blaze of glory three weeks early! Actually, I would have to say that it was the birth from hell from my perspective. I have never had a bad, or painful delivery. I would say that this one was intended to be sure of preventing me from ever thinking of doing it again! A week before Bear arrived, I had two fillings done without novacaine - without pain, and I always thought I had a high pain tolerance, but nothing prepared me for the seering pain that I went through in the last three hours of my birth experience with Bear, or the last three horrendous minutes that I can only describe as Satan himself coming through the birth canal with fists full of razor blades!!! Never again! I am cured. Enough of that, now for the important stuff. My pregnancy with Berenger can only be described as long, and full of little problems along the way. I had conceived him only weeks after a horrible miscarriage in July of 2007, and my doctor had dubbed my pregnancy "high risk". Throughout the pregnancy it seemed everything was going wrong. At least from my perspective. I had wanted a home birth, but developing diabetes and a group B Strep infection destroyed that idea. In retrospect - thank God I was in the hospital. Thought I'd never say that. As it turns out, Bear was born grey and with a very weak cry - I remember him lying on my belly greyblue and heard my voice urging him to cry. I just wanted to hear the healthy wail of a new baby and Bear could barely muster the energy to take a breath. He was wisked away to the neonatal unit while I lay exhausted in the bed. I prayed that he would be okay, I could not bear to lose him. Well, the long and short of it is, that after a few days in the neonatal intensive care, he is home with me, healthy and beautiful! What a good baby I have. I have waited a long time for this child to come into my life. I couldn't be any happier.

No comments: